With the help of Councillors from Queen’s Gate ward, the Anglo-Finnish Society have erected a blue plaque to recognise the life and achievements of a Finnish art historian, writer and diplomat along Kensington Gate.
Tancred Borenius lived on Kensington Gate from 1936-41, during which time he held positions such as the first professor of Art History at University College London, director of Clarendon Palace and became editor of The Burlington Magazine until the end of the war in 1945.
As well his achievements in the arts, Tancred Borenius was also a diplomat who became Chair of the Polish Relief Fund in 1939 that sent aid and assisted Polish refugees in Britain (and if you believe the claims, was instrumental in enticing Rudolf Hess to fly to Britain in 1941).
The Anglo-Finish Society itself has a history with the borough as its inaugural meeting was held on Holland Park Avenue in December 1911.
Tancred Borenius joins Lady Clementine Churchill, artists Mary and Ernest Gillick, Jamaican Gold Medalist and WWII Pilot Arthur Wint and US Statesman and abolitionist, Fredrick Douglass as City Living, Local Life-supported plaques up and down Kensington and Chelsea.